4 Ways to Boost Your Child’s Brain Power This Summer
The idea of an uneventful, lazy summer for your child might sound tempting to parents. But beware of leaving your kid idle during the next two months. A recent study by the University of Missouri-Columbia shows that without brain stimulation during summer, students can lose academic progress by the time they head back to school. This is called the Summer Slide.
The summer slide is a significant academic regression translating to about two months’ worth of loss in math skills, reading skills, and even physical fitness! Parents need to engage their kids in brain-boosting activities to keep their brains at optimal levels.
The Summer Slide Challenge
Also known as summer learning loss, the summer slide is a significant academic regression translating to about two months’ worth of loss in math skills, reading skills, and even physical fitness! What this means is that parents need to engage their kids in brain-boosting activities to keep their brains at optimal levels.
Let this be an exciting challenge for us! Here are a few ideas to amp up their creativity, innovation, and education this summer. From everyday activities to exciting summer programs, here are brain-stimulating summer experiences that can give our kids an educational edge when the break ends.
1. Make books a part of summer
Summer is a great time to catch up on favorite books and discover new ones! Why not keep your children reading with a target of 2 to 3 books over summer? You can get together once a week, like a family book club, and discuss characters, plot twists, and lessons learned. This could turn into an exciting literary discussion! Best of all, you’re creating the foundation for a genuine love of reading, a very precious gift you can give your little human.
2. Engage the curious mind
We can give our kids’ brains a great workout with no electronic devices needed. Here are a few ideas to help improve comprehension, attention, and learning even while they’re out of school:
• Invest in board games. Not only are they fun, they teach important lessons like strategizing, following instructions, learning how to lose, and communicating with other players.
• Since board games can get quite pricey, you can get creative and challenge them to design their own game! From rules, directions, and actual board design, it’s bound to get really fun.
• Print math worksheets and set aside a few times a week for them to answer. You can think of a simple and fun rewards system for every math worksheet submitted.
• Speaking of rewards, completed math worksheets can translate to trips to the park, to the playground, and even museums around Manila. Fun rewards don’t have to be expensive.
• Studies show that learning to play an instrument stimulates the brain in a very powerful way. It sharpens the senses and fine motor skills—that’s a boost in brain power right there.
3. Burn off that energy
Physical activity is not only good for the health, it teaches children important lessons about discipline, teamwork, self-confidence, and self-esteem. Engaging in sports also improves concentration and academic performance.
Your kids might not so be excited to be introduced to a new sport but give them time. Encourage them to give it a try once or twice before moving on to a new activity. Swimming, basketball, tennis, football, badminton… with so much to choose from, why not try them all this summer?
4. Explore Manila
Set aside time and budget to explore kid-friendly attractions around the city. Manila’s wealth of museums and attractions mean that there’s magic at just about every corner. There a lot of places and activities that can elicit an expression of “wow” and a twinkle in the eyes of those little ones!
Consider trips to gems like Museong Pambata, Bahay Tsinoy, Metropolitan Museum of Manila, and the National Museum. There are also extraordinary places of adventure like the Mind Museum, Enchanted Kingdom, and Kidzania Manila. And if you need a little help figuring out what activity to try next, head on over to http://manilaforkids.com/ for the latest activities in Manila.
Those ideas are just a few to get you started. Being the supermom that you are, we wouldn’t be surprised if you have even more summer tricks up your sleeve.
Boosting your child’s brain power this summer doesn’t have to be boring. In fact, it’s sure to be filled with fun, laughter, and lots of family bonding. With planning and a little effort, there’s no need to worry about any summer slide these coming months.