Hours Of Fun With Do-It-Yourself Playdough
Playdough activities help kids develop their fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination skills. Plus, they’re super fun to play with. You can squish, squash, pound, and form into shapes to their heart’s content.
Instead of buying playdough, why not make it? Here’s an easy recipe you and your kids will enjoy doing together. It'll mostly be mom preparing the ingredients, especially since there are measurements, a pan, and a stove involved. But the kids can join in the mixing!
All you need:
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 tbsp cream of tartar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup salt
- Food coloring
- 2 cups water
- Cooking pan or pot (depending on how much playdough you will make) and a stove
Step by step guide:
1. Prepare your dry ingredients. Pour all of them in your pan or pot and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, pour the cooking oil and water and mix together. Then add a few drops of food coloring. We used 5 drops of blue coloring for this recipe.
3. Turn your stove on low heat and mix the flour, salt, and cream of tartar together. Slowly add in the liquid mixture you made in step 2. As you see the flour look more like playdough, turn off the heat and transfer onto a tray. Careful though as it will be hot!
4. Put a little flour on the tray like you would if you were making pizza dough. Start mixing the ingredients together. If the clay is a bit too runny, add in more flour until the playdough doesn’t stick to your fingers anymore.
5. That’s it, you’re done! You and your little one can start endless hours of fun!